Best Green Frying Pan Under $50

If you've made the decision to switch to a green non stick pan, you might be wondering what's the best choice. Knowing to avoid Teflon / PTFE is only half the battle, but no one wants to waste money buying pans that claim to work miracles, only to be disappointed.

I've been testing and experimenting with these things for years, so I'll tell you the best picks for your budget. This post will be about an affordable option that also happens to last fairly long.


Ozeri is primarily known for digital scales and other small household electronics. But now, they're green frying pans have become quite popular with everyday cooks. Now, I know a lot of bloggers out there received free Ozeri Green Earth pans to review, but I actually bought my own in 2011 and can vouch for its performance over the long term.

This pan (as seen on the New York Times "Green" blog) has a ceramic nonstick coating that makes it harder and more scratch resistant than other nonstick pans. I'm taking their word on their comparison to other pans, but after 2 years of use three times a week (with the proper nonstick utensils of course), my pan has not scratched at all.

The body is constructed with heavy-gauge anodized aluminum that provides even cooking and gives the pan some heft. The magnetized bottom provides rapid heat transfer on induction stoves, but I find that it heats up rather quickly on my gas stove as well. The silicone handle is heat-resistant.

With the pan, you'll get a one-sheet user guide that explains you should precondition the pan with a little oil the first time you use it, and periodically after that.

They also warn not to use too much oil or butter when cooking to avoid buildup that may actually cause your food to stick. I'm pretty heavy-handed with the olive oil, so I have noticed some sticking, but it's far less than the nonstick pans than I've gone through in the past -- and it took a LOT longer to start happening, which still makes this pan a great buy in my book. A vinegar or lemon juice treatment to remove the buildup doesn't get it back to like-new condition, but does help restore the nonstick properties.

They make two different kinds of pans for different cooking jobs. The smooth surface pans are great for eggs and tofu, while the textured pans have an elevated textured surface made especially for searing meat. It's oven safe up to 356 degrees F.

Ozeri Green Earth pans [Amazon] come 8, 10, and 12-inch sizes, and are available in a pretty lime green color -- a perfect way to brighten up your kitchen. There's also a stone (gray) color, and a stainless steel exterior.

The New York Times Green Blog says, "Not only does it easily wipe clean of even foods like scrambled eggs with American cheese...but when I need to brown something, it leaves behind enough bits to make a nice sauce."

The cookware comes with a limited lifetime warranty (for workmanship, not misuse.) I'm thoroughly enjoying my Ozeri cookware because it's so easy to cook with and clean. It's become my go-to pan, and I use it nearly every day for eggs, fish, chicken breast, sauteed vegetables, and much more. Lids are sold separately.

They also make an eco-friendly wok that looks really nice, but I actually wouldn't recommend it due to the temperature restrictions. Wok cooking requires high heat, and the highest that it can safely handle is about 350 degrees, which is only medium heat. But if you just want an inexpensive pan that will do the job and that you won't have to replace every 6 months, the Ozeri pan fits the bill if you give it proper care.

Comments