What Are The Best Green Cookware Brands?

I got rid of my traditional nonstick pans years ago. I had gotten to the point where I was cooking nearly every meal in them -- they're so easy to use -- and I decided that I'd better switch to something without Teflon.

In the process of choosing new cookware, I looked at everything that was out there. Here are my reviews of some of the best green cookware brands:

The Cuisinart Green Gourmet Skillet was the first pan I tried. I was drawn by the fact that it was a brand I recognized -- which now I know doesn't make it the better choice -- and it was advertised as free of PFOA free and PTFE (Teflon) free.

It was great at first, but soon lost the ability to turn out decent eggs and fish without sticking, which was the main reason I bought it. I actually bought a second one, thinking I had simply misused the first, which it turns out I had, in a way. You should never use heat higher than medium, which I didn't know. It does come with a lifetime warranty, but I ended up moving on to another pan.

See my pick for the best Green frying pan under $50. I've also reviewed some PTFE free Electric Griddles for those of you looking for eco friendly options.



Budget Pick: Ozeri Green Earth Pan

The next one I tried is one I still own and use for sauteeing chicken breasts, vegetable stir frys, and more everyday cooking. It's the Green Earth Pan by Ozeri [Amazon], and I'm recommending it for beginning cooks and first-time "green pan" owners.

These pans come in two types, smooth and textured. The textured version is for searing meats. I went with the smooth 10-inch pan.

It's my pick for Best Green Frying Pan under $50.

The nonstick coating won't last forever, but it has lasted much longer than Cuisinart's with some required maintenance. I know that we don't really anticipate seasoning and descaling when we think of "nonstick" pans, but that's what you have to do with this one, unless you're willing to pay for a more expensive nonstick pan.

Ozeri pans will begin to stick over time as it builds up residue, and you'll need to clean it with lemon juice or vinegar every so often to make it nonstick again. The manufacturer also recommends keeping it seasoned, like you would a cast iron skillet. It also helps to keep the heat within the recommended temperature while using it. I use silicone and bamboo (nonstick-safe) utensils and Scotch-Brite scrub sponges to clean it.

Ozeri is an affordable option if you just want some individual green pans (not a full set), with 8", 10" and 12 inch sizes available.

Aesthetic Pick: GreenLife Soft Grip Ceramic Pans


If having cookware that looks good is important to you, then this pick is for you. GreenLife ceramic nonstick cookware is free of PFAS (PTFE is a type of PFA), PFOA, and cadmium. For the eco-conscious, you'll be glad to hear that they're made from recycled aluminum. These are oven safe up to 350 degrees and dishwasher safe.

Get a set, or mix and match from their selection of gorgeous colors.



Pro Pick: Zwilling Spirit Pan

The Zwilling Spirit ceramic pan is perfect for everyday cooking. This high-performing, eco-friendly cookware is well suited for those who want to cook with less fat, oil or butter. You might recognize it as the cookware used on the Food Network show, Chopped.

It features a coating that is PTFE free and PFOA free. The fact that it's scratch-resistant and easy to clean makes it handy for everyday use.

For experienced and inexperienced home cooks alike, this pan will make quick work of preparing the foods that typically give you trouble, like fish and eggs. This coating is scratch-resistant and easy to clean. Most foods slide off the skillet without any oil or butter — even cheese.

Three-ply construction allows for even heat distribution from rim to rim. A stainless steel exterior covers an aluminum core that distributes heat all along the cooking surface and is extremely energy efficient. The pan can be used on just about any stove top, including gas, electric, ceramic, and induction tops, up to 500°F.

Due to its even heat distribution, it's particularly effective for cooking fish, chicken, beef, and other meats. It also works well for stir fry, sautéeing, and making sauces. These pans feature a flared, no-drip rim, which helps you precisely pour liquids from the pan without making a mess.

This cookware is even oven-safe and broiler-safe up to 500°F. The non-stick surface makes oil or butter unnecessary, so you can enjoy the full, undiluted flavor of the food you are cooking and avoid any toxic non-stick cooking sprays — which have health implications of their own due to the propellants in the spray can.

The riveted, ergonomic handle stays cool to the touch, feels solid in the hand, and is easy to hold and maneuver. The pan is backed by a lifetime manufacturer warranty, an important feature for those who have been searching for something that will last. It comes in 8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch sizes to meet a variety of your cooking needs, and comes with a lifetime warranty.

While the ceramic coating is scratch resistant, you should use wooden or silicone utensils when cooking. Additionally, the pan should be hand-washed, though clean up is easy and quick — a quick wipe and a rinse will work for the pan itself, with a little extra attention on the steel rivets where the handle is attached. Because the coating repels so much water, the interior of the pan dries quickly, and the outside only requires a quick pass with a towel.

What About Cast Iron Pans?

There are two types of people in the world: nonstick cookware people, and cast iron cookware people. And each group tends to think the other group is nuts. As someone who uses both, let me address the pros and cons of using a cast iron skillet.

There's a reason these things have been around for decades. They're indestructible. They can go from stove to oven, and they're safe for metal utensils. They have excellent heat conductivity and retention. The Lodge brand in particular is made in the U.S.A. -- one of the few that is.

The tradeoff is that you have to hand wash them, and you have to do it in one go. You CANNOT let these soak in the sink, and you CANNOT let them air dry. If you find this too much of a hassle, then it's best you "stick" with one of the nonstick pans listed above.

Another drawback is that it's heavy. This doesn't bother me when cooking on the stovetop, but whenever I have to pick it up when it's full of food, I tend to use both hands. Also, the handle can get hot, depending on how long you're cooking. You'll get to know when you need a potholder to maneuver it.

Now that I understand how to take care of them, I personally find them low maintenance. I clean mine with Kosher salt (and a little dish soap if there's grease in it) and a grill brush. Every once in a while, when I notice food starting to stick, I re-season it by scrubbing it with a steel pad, wiping some vegetable oil on it, and putting it in the oven upside for an hour at 450 degrees. (Get instructions for seasoning a cast iron.)

So there you have it. Benefit from my trial and error and get yourself the best green pans out there for healthy cooking.